Sunday, October 10, 2010

What Kind of Influence Am I Being?

It's been a while since I last posted. A lot is going on in 1st grade and I haven't found the time to write and haven't been sure what exactly I should share.

Friday was our our fall carnival. It was a lot of fun and we raised a lot of money for our classroom. Two other first grade teachers and I had 4 different booths. The one I ran was a Cow Patty Toss. I made cow patties out of foam insulation and then painted them brown. It was really funny watching kids and adults pick up the patties. Some loved it while others thought it was rather disgusting.

I was reminded the other day that there are 3 different type of people. There are people who are positive influences in your life. These people you love to be around and when you are around them you are energized and filled up. Then there are people who take energy away from you. These people can come across as needy and suck the life out of you. The third type are people who are just there. They don't give you energy and they don't take anything away from you. They are neutral.

As I was reflecting on my personal life journey and my experiences at school I could pinpoint people in my life who were positive, negative, and neutral. There are friends, coworkers and family members who fill me up with encouragement, joy and love. When I talk to them or am in their presence they make me smile and give me the love and encouragement I need to share with others. On the other hand, there are also friends, coworkers, students, family members who can be draining at times.

All in all, it made me question what kind of person am I being to my friends? students? family members? coworkers? Am I sharing the unconditional love of Christ with them? Am I encouraging them and shining His light over them? Or am I complaining all the time? Am I draining someone else out? Even more frightening- am I doing nothing at all?

"The enemies hope for Christians is that we will either be so ineffective we have no testimony, or we'll ruin the one we have." - Beth More, Breaking Free

I choose to be the one that is shining His light and being a positive influence to others. I hope to be the encourager, even when I'm tired and run down. 

1 comment:

  1. Your students are lucky to have such a thoughtful, caring teacher. They are off to a great start because of you. And you'll make veteran teachers want to work harder because of the great things you do. You're a sweetheart Libby Lou. xoxo Umptee'

    ReplyDelete